I'm still in Back To School mode, and this week I have names on the brain.
The Friday Five: Five Fab Picture Books About Names
(Click images and/or titles for links)
A Porcupine Named Fluffy by Helen Lester
I have this puppy memorized and do it as an oral storytelling. Pretty sweet to have some of those in your back pocket to mix it up!
My Name Is Elizabeth by Annika Dunklee
This is a new book that's reviewed over here.
The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi
I remember having the rare opportunity to watch another adult (our beloved librarian) read this story out loud to my little friends. Talk about captivated. And talk about being able to milk some good book talk out of this one.
My Name Is Yoon by Helen Recorvits
The Old Woman Who Named Things by Cynthia Rylant
Other Bits of Fabulous From Around the Web:
Ah, the beginning of the school year...time to whip our little friends into shape. And that means getting them to LISTEN. I saw this over at EdWeek and thought some of their tips were super practical.
The conversation about social media in the classroom continues.
One former teacher chronicles his horrific time in the classroom. Can you say "yikes"?
Memories...What Mimi Was Ranting About Way Back When:
- Off To A Positive Start? More ruminations on my quest for Zen.
- Can I Get An Om Up In Here? Yep, still working on that Zen...
- Childrens Book Reading Extravagnaza 2010: Picture Books # 26- 22
- So. Much. Sweating. Mrs. Mimi poses for her close up. Cue the sweating.
- Today I Saw Myself At the Bookstore
- This Just In The Seat Sack Crisis of 2008 or what I like to refer to as the year Sans Sack.
- How's YOUR Karma? Remember the fun that was the all faculty retreat?
- Just Some Poop And Me...Or So I Thought A special visit from a very skilled furry friend. Yeah, there were mice in my classroom, what else is new?
- What A Difference A Year Makes A few thoughts on my switch from teaching first to second grade.