Saturday, September 13, 2008

Channeling Gossip Girl

(Only with a much smaller wardrobe budget.)

Setting: my classroom

Person #1: She sucks.
Person #2: That is so dumb! What did she say?
Person #1: She said...
Person #2: Oh no she di-n't.
Person #1: I know! She did!
Person #2: (beginning to cry) I don't know why she would say that about me...

Did I mention that both Person #1 and Person #2 are adults? In my school? Adults in my school that I work with. Crying. In my room. Before school, during school and after school.

And Friday was the ninth day of school. So, long story short, the year is off to a stellar start (please go back and insert sarcastic tone if you have not already....but really, you should know me better than that by now.)

There has been crying, cursing, plotting and scheming. The shit is hitting the fan fast and furious...we can't shovel it up fast enough evidently.

After a meeting of the minds (the minds being my other teacher friends), we realized that there is one individual responsible for all the high drama. And no, it's not the Weave. It's someone who we shall refer to as The Instigator.

The Instigator is an out-of-the-classroom person (imagine that). As is typical in my school (and I apologize to those of you out there who are out of the classroom AND hard workers...because where I come from, those two ideas are at some severe odds), this out-of-the-classroom individual has FAR too much free time. Now, this person has always had quite a bit of free time on her hands. In past years, she has used her flexible schedules to enjoy long breakfasts, read the newspaper, smoke cigarettes on the corner and spend time on eBay. As if her days weren't jam-packed enough, she has evidently now added "f*cking with teachers who are barely keeping their heads above water as it is."

I mean, talk about dedicated to your cause, right? If your cause is wreaking havoc, and not making any significant contribution to your place of employment that is.

Unfortunately, out-of-the-classroom teachers have an odd power at our school - and this woman is no exception. She is like the Godfather. You don't want to piss her off, because she will make your life a living hell. It is like the educational equivalent of putting out a hit, which in our case that translates to screwed up copy orders, no prep periods and constant phone calls interrupting your teaching. In the teaching world, that can be a fate worse than death too...

I've started wondering what her motivation is...and then my mind wandered back to the children.

Oh yeaaaaaa, the kids!

Anyhow, I'm exhausted from all the drama. I think my only option is to run out and get a pedicure (Mr. Mimi, if you're reading this, you may want to avert your eyes from the credit card statement....honey, I did it for the kids.)

17 comments:

teach5 said...

Be creative, they never have to know where "it" is coming from. Put a little fun back in your lives. :)

btrp said...

One of the few benefits to having a school-closing/overhaul is that most of those time-wasting, drama-starting out-of-classroom teachers who didn't deserve to stay are gone. My AIS kids got pulled ONE time last year. Once. And the amount of gossip and drama... some of those teachers even badmouthed teachers to their students. (Some didn't suck, and they got rehired. Amazing how that works.)

So I hear you. Maybe I should go get my nails done too.

17 (really 15) more years said...

Mimi, I've said it before and I'll say it again- I swear we work in the same school.

Anonymous said...

I can relate with you 100%. I got in the middle of this last year, only my instigator got the students involved (as if high school students don't have enough drama already). I'm still battling the repercussions this year.
Good luck! I hope it all works out.

Anonymous said...

Wow!, there is not a single person in our school who doesn' work hard and constantly. I did have an aide once who thought she owned the school. You had to stay on her good side or she could make your life miserable. She is at a different school now. I bet she still does nothing too.
Mystery Teacher

Jpm said...

There is one in every work enviornment. At least that is what I keep telling myself. I actually might have been that person once when I accidently threw a co worker under the bus.(so to speak) But I fixed it honestly I did, and the key word is accidently. Never again will I be trapped by the question "so how is X doing?" Please don't hate me:o)
By the way thanks for updating.

ChiTown Girl said...

Wow, sounds like we work in the same place, only mine is called the Hell-Hole! Nice to see there's plenty of crazy to go around!

Katie : said...

Those "out of the classroom" types have a tendency to stir the pot, don't they!?

I recommend to new and old hires that they measure their words by weighing their potential impact before speaking. Never speak on impulse or with emotion.

I practice what I preach too.

Emily said...

Ah yes...the drama...but we COULDN'T possibly teach without it (insert eye-roll here) now could we?!

Catholic Schools Rock! said...

Wow! Anonymous, you must work in heaven! I have never worked in a school where all teachers and staff worked hard and constantly! Let me know where you work so I can join!

Ms. P. said...

I'm sorry that you are having so many "getting along" issues. However, rest assured that most of us experience that too. What we have found the most helpful is that the largest majority of us classroom teachers stick together. If there is a problem, we take it to our team first before involving anyone else. Sometimes, we have to involve administration, and beyond if administration is the problem, because we have to keep kids as the focus. It's not always easy, but I'm a firm believer in "If you don't express what you are thinking and feeling, you have no right to complain." Believe me, I know sometimes it takes a lot of effort to express those thoughts and feelings in a respectful manner when all you want to do is tear someone's head off, but at least someone has "heard" you. Even if nothing gets done or changes, you said what you needed to say as an advocate for the kids, and that's what matters. :^)
Remember, a person's perspective is their reality. You can't control some else's actions, but you can control your own. :^)

amazeingteacher said...

I left you an award on my blog...check it out!

jenamoured said...

i've already been struck by our instigator. ugh. those types of people are insufferable.

Katie said...

There's an Instigator at every office/school/place with women. I avoid them at all costs, but they are the kind of person who is hard to miss. I feel for you...

Anonymous said...

I hear you! The do-nothings and Drama Queens are everywhere, (and they usually have a whinny voice.) For awhile I thought since I worked with mostly men I would be saved from this, OH NO! Drama Kings can worse. Keep the faith and close your door so you can teach!

Cierra said...

I have heard in all of my University classes that drama and parents are the hardest things to deal with as a teacher. We have been 'trained' to ignore all negativity, gossip, and drama which I'm pretty sure will be almost impossible from all of the things I have heard so far about what goes on in schools. Stay positive.

雪花 said...

福~
「朵
語‧,最一件事,就。好,你西.............................................................................................................
..................

Who's Peeking?