I have arrived!! I got tagged by hipteacher!!! (I wish I could have made her name link to her blog page, but I haven't learned how to do that yet...I'm not THAT cool...anyone care to educate me on that little tidbit?? Anyway, if you don't read it already, you'll love her blog! I'll do it the old school way. It's hipteacher (dot) typepad (dot) com (slash) schoolblog.) Anyway, it made my day!
1. I am a good teacher because...(this one is hard) because... because I think I am able to create a classroom community that makes my students excited to come to school. I think they love learning and, even though they are only 7, I encourage them to be reflective about and take control of their own learning, not just do what I tell them to. Oh, and I think they are super cute!
2. If I weren't a teacher, I would be...a photographer, a florist, OOOO!! I would name nail polish colors. Or have a huge ranch for cats (that's a little scary, isn't it?? Hellooooo steretype about teachers and cats!) Maybe we'll stick with naming nail polishes. How 'bout Cinnamon Toast? Or Glass O' Red? Maybe You Rock It Red? No?
3. My teaching style is...like the Energizer Bunny...I bop around, beat my drum, and try to keep everyone going. Although I'm not sure about the pink...
4. My classroom is... cluttered. Whoah! Was that out loud?? I meant filled with photographs and brilliant student art. It's very cozy, yea, we'll call it "cozy".
5. My lesson plans... are flawless!!! Ha ha! Got you! My lesson plans are done almost exclusively on Post It notes...it looks like Office Depot threw up in my planner. But who doesn't love a good stack of Post Its.
6. One of my teaching goals is…to encourage my students' natural talents while also teaching them it's OK to not know everything or have trouble with something.
7. The toughest part of teaching is...reaching every student. I have so many beautiful memories of children who have blossomed in my room, but I also remember those that I don't think I did enough for. Those are the students I keep in my mind to motivate me every day. So, that and having to hold my pee.
8. The thing I love most about teaching is... spending time with kids. I don't think I could work with just adults all day.
9. A common misconception about teaching is...it's easy. You just read what's in the manual and do what your told and poof! kids learn. I think that most people outside of the field of teaching don't know how much creativity and energy it takes to get a group of children to engage with new ideas and learn. Teachers are much more intelligent than we are given credit for...not just anyone can do our job.
10. The most important thing I've learned since I started teaching...to balance. I have learned (or I'm getting closer) how to balance work and personal life and my own schooling (why did I decide to go back for my doctorate again?). When I've let the scales tip more toward one over the others, nothing ends up going well.
There! My first Meme ever!! Ok. I don't really know the etiquette for this. Or how to link stuff. Damn.
A Teacher's Life (Thanks for reading Jen!)
The Coffee Table
But Wait There's More!
The Doc Is In (Thanks for reading dr pezz!!)
Apologies if you've already been tagged or don't want to be. Just know I admire your blogs.